Photo: Fireworks over the Boston Common at 7 p.m. Take the T! (Credit: Estormiz, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons)
A Happy New Year, Belmont. We all deserve having something to celebrate, even if most of us will be doing it alone or with a smigin of the folks you wish you could as we try to be Omicron-avoidant.
Unlike a week ago on Christmas, there is a bit more options available for those seeking a strong cup of coffee, some aspirin or just resupplying the pantry.
- Town offices
- Federal offices
- Belmont Public Library
- US Postal Service, Belmont Center and Waverley Square closed on Jan. 1. (Regular hours on the 31st.)
On New Year’s Eve: For everyone looking for a cheap and reliable way to attend First Night 2022 in downtown Boston to participate in the First Night Procession (at 5:50 p.m.) or attend the Family Fireworks display over the Boston Common (7 p.m.), here is what you need to know.
Subway trains will run on a Saturday schedule, but with increased service after 3 p.m.
Buses will run on a Saturday schedule.
Commuter Rail will run on a weekday schedule, and will hold the last train on each line after midnight: The final train on the Fitchburg line will depart North Station at 12:50 a.m.
New Year’s Day
Commuter Rail will run on a weekend schedule.
Buses and subways will run on a Sunday schedule.
• The store at 353 Trapelo Rd. in Central Square (the one at the intersection of Beech Street) is running regular hours on both days: 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. The shop at 350 Pleasant St. is open until 6 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on the First while the site on at 53 Church St. will, as always, stay hold regular hours 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. on the 31st and 1st.
• The location at 110 Trapelo Rd. in Cushing Square will close early at 1 p.m. on 12/31 and open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the first.
The supermarket at 535 Trapelo Rd. will be operating slightly shorter hours: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on both days with the pharmacy open until 5 p.m. on the 31st but closed on the 1st.
Craft Beer Cellars
Located at 87 Leonard St., the store will be opened until 9 p.m. They will be closed on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
• The store at 264 Trapelo Rd. will be open regular hours from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The Pharmacy will be open from 9 p.m. on Friday and from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday.
• The Belmont Center location at 60 Leonard St. is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on both days with the pharmacy open until 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the day.