Photo: Trash processing will continue with Wheelabrow Technologies.
Belmont’s Select Board unanimously approved Monday, Aug. 12, a five-year extension to the town’s existing contract with a waste-to-energy firm to process Belmont’s residential trash.
The new contract with Wheelabrow Technologies, which goes into effect July 1,
Despite the significant spike for the coming year – the cost increases for years two to five will be between 2.5 and 3.5 percent – Jay Marcotte, the town’s director of the Department of Public Works, said he was surprised at the bargain the town received.
“I can honestly tell you that I am surprised that the pricing. I thought it would be a lot more expensive it would be getting rid of trash” since the cost of recycling has skyrocketed in the past year.
“It’s a volitile world out there for recycling and trash,” said Marcotte.
Belmont has separate contracts for hauling trash from the curbside and recycling, each in their second of a five year contracts with Waste Management.
Marcotte said the price Belmont will pay on July 1 is comparable to those
The hit to residents’ tax bill for trash removal under the new contract should not be that hard due to the automated trash collection system installed last year, said Marcotte. While the town budget anticipated about 7,500 tons of trash processed townwide in the past two years, last fiscal year residents produced 6,200 tons, an 18 percent fall off due to automation.
“There is room for improvement,” said Marcotte.