Belmont Fire Log: Co-Workers Fall Victim to Careless Disposal of Smokes

Photo: The victims. 

On the fence

Sept. 6 – At 8:35 a.m., Engine 1 and its crew sped to Waverely Square’s Church Street for a report of a smoldering mulch fire that had extended to a nearby fence post. The team used hand tools and a two-and-a-half gallon can of water to extinguish the fire.

Needs air 

Sept. 6 – At a quarter past 9 a.m., a crew from the Belmont Center station were sent to nearby Stone Hearth Pizza on Leonard Street for a “medical emergency.” Turns out that the alarm went off because painters didn’t ventilate the area tripping the alarm.

Let us in

Sept. 7 – Just before 3 a.m., fire crews were dispatched to a distillery on Brighton Street after the duct smoke detector went off. The firefighters who were first to arrive could not get inside the store because the keys inside the lock box could not open the door’s deadbolts. So an outside visual inspection was performed, and there were no signs of smoke or fire.  The crews made a return visit to the location an hour later companies for a second false alarm activation. 

I’m getting in

Sept. 7 – At 10 past 8 p.m., a crew was dispatched to South Cottage Road for a person who forgot their keys and needed a little help getting inside the townhouse. The property owner signed a release form then used some force on the door lock in the garage to get inside.

A little help

Sept. 8 – At just about 1:30 a.m., firefighters were sent to Slade Street for yet another resident who locked themselves out of their abode. This time, entry was gained through an open first-floor window. There was no damage. 

Power play

Sept. 8 – At a minute past 10 a.m., Engine 1, Engine 2 and the Ladder truck took off to Winter Street house for a report of an odor of smoke inside the house. Turns out an electrical power strip was arcing in the home office. Fire personnel unplugged the strip and used water to cool a scorched area of the rug. Firefighters also spoke with the homeowner regarding overloading of plugs and a missing face plates to several outlets in other parts of the home.

Lost: a working couple

Sept. 9 – At just before half-past 4 p.m., crews were dispatched to the rear of Salon Monroe on Pleasant Street for the aftermath of an outdoor rubbish fire. They found an extinguished fire in the right rear corner of the building where a mop and bucket had burned due to the careless disposal of cigarettes. Occupants were advised to use a proper container for disposing of smoking materials in the future.

Share This ArticleShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Leave a Review or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *