• The Benton Library – Belmont’s independent and volunteer-run library – will be open late on Friday, Sept. 5 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Make the Benton a stop on your way home or after dinner; its located at the corner of Oakley and Old Middlesex roads. See the latest New York Times Best sellers. Browse the collection. Buy some of our reasonably-priced sale books; all proceeds go to the Benton. Use our Wi-Fi. The Benton is open the first Friday evening of every month.
• Belmont’s Powers Music School – which is celebrating a half-century of providing music training to children and adults – is holding its Fall Open House and Instrument Petting Zoo on Saturday, Sept. 6, from noon to 3 p.m. at its home at 380 Concord Ave.
- Free Early Childhood (age 1 to 5) Sample Classes: 9:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. (registration required here)
- Face painting and drumming: 11:30 am
- “Puff the Magic Dragon” Musical Story: 12:15 p.m.
- Instrument Petting Zoo: noon to 3 p.m.
- Fiddling/Mark O’Connor Method presentation: 1:30 p.m.
The Open House is the perfect opportunity to:
- talk with our faculty and other students and parents
- try an instrument
- sample an early childhood class
- listen to a fun, musical story
- learn how lessons, ensembles, or orchestra can help you with other skills
- register for our Fall semester
No reservations are required for the free petting zoo and musical story while reservations are required for the morning early childhood sample classes. The school’s faculty will be available to answer all of your questions about our classes and programs at the event.
• Sports is on the docket this first week of school for Belmont High teams with three big match-ups with neighboring rivals Watertown: Field Hockey at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5 at Watertown’s Victory Field; on Saturday, Sept. 6 soccer is up with the Girls’ Soccer hosting Watertown at Harris Field at 9 a.m. (that’s right – 9 A.M.!) and the Boys’ Soccer visiting the Red Raiders at 10 a.m. In addition, Volleyball will host their first home game vs. Bedford on Friday, Sept. 5 in the Wenner Field House.
• Belmont’s Studio Cinema, at the corner of Beech Street and Trapelo Road, is holding over the popular foodie film “The 100-Foot Journey” with Helen Mirren. It will be shown on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 3:30 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.
Leave a Review or Comment