Photo: Belmont Farmers Market.
On the government side of “This Week”:
- The Board of Zoning Appeals will meet on Tuesday, June 9, at 7 p.m. on the third floor of the Homer Building (in the Town Hall Complex) to take up a special permit request from Rebecca Pizzi to allow a child care business to be run out of 92 Payson Road.
- The School Committee will be holding a reception and ceremony for retiring staff and teacher beginning at 6 p.m., on Tuesday, June 9, at the Chenery Middle School. At the regular meeting, the committee will vote on school fees for next fiscal year and will get an update on the space situation at the six district schools.
- The Community Path Implementation Advisory Committee will get together on Wednesday, June 10 at 7 p.m. in Town Hall to discuss a future walking tour of potential pathways.
• The Benton Library, Belmont’s independent and volunteer run library at the corner of Old Middlesex and Oakley, will be holding Summer Pre-School Story Time at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 9, with stories and crafts for children 3 to 5. Younger siblings may attend with adults. Parents or caregivers must be present. Registration is not required. Pre-School Story Time meets at 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday and Friday throughout the summer.
• Yoga for Everyone at the Beech Street Center from 5:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., on Tuesday, June 9. Join Susan Harris, a registered yoga teacher and associate professor of Nutrition at Tufts University, for this Iyengar-inspired class which practices yoga postures slowly and with attention to alignment and safety, adapted to the abilities and needs of individual students. Practice is done with bare feet; mats and props are provided. Cost: $15/class. Non-seniors, beginners and experienced are welcome. This is a non-Council on Aging class held at the Beech Street Center. For more information, call Susan at 617-407-0816.
• The town’s new Veterans Officer, Robert Upton, will be at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St., on Thursday, June 10 from noon to 2 p.m.. Please register at the front desk.
• The Belmont Country Club hosts the PGA 2015 Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship beginning on Thursday, June 11, to Sunday, June 14.
• Come to opening of the Belmont Farmers Market, now in its 10th season, at 2 p.m. on Thursday, June 11.
• The 7th and 8th Grade Band Concert will take place on Thursday, June 11, at 7 p.m. at the Chenery Middle School.
• Well-loved local musician Liz Buchanan will be performs original songs and traditional favorites for kids and their parents in the Belmont Public Library’s Assembly Room, Friday, June 12, from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The Chenery Middle School 5th Grade Band, Chorus and Orchestra will perform in concert on Friday, June 12, at 9 a.m. in the auditorium at the school.
• The Senior Book Discussion Group will will discuss Summer by Edith Wharton on Friday, June 12, at 11 a.m. at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St.
• The Belmont Public Library’s OTAKUrabu program offers students (7th to 12th grades) the chance to watch anime, do a craft/activity, plan for future events and nibble on some Japanese snacks (while they last – they’ll go fast) on Friday, June 12, from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Assembly Room. Provided to you for free, thanks to the Friends of the Belmont Public Library. Just drop in, no registration required.