While it’s nothing to the extent of what Newton residents deal with on Marathon Monday, this coming Sunday morning, Oct. 5 beginning at 9:30 a.m., several Belmont roads will be briefly closed while runners take over the streets for the second annual Dan Scharfman Memorial Run.
The Memorial Run takes a scenic route from the Belmont High School track at Harris Field past the town’s schools, Payson Park Reservoir and Clay Pond.
The following road closings will occur on October 5 to ensure the safety of participants:
- 6 a.m. – 12 p.m.: No Parking on east/west side of Concord Avenue between Cottage and Bright avenues;
- 6 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.: No Parking on Goden Street between School Street and Concord Avenue;
- 9:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.: School Street closed between Orchard and Philip Road;
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.: No exit onto Oakley from Selwyn and Hurd;
- 10:45 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Concord Ave West Bound closed between Underwood and Goden – two-way traffic on Concord Ave East Bound;
- Between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.: Drivers should be aware of runners on the 5K course (Concord Ave / Orchard Road / Stone Road / School Street / Philip / Elisabeth Road / Jacob / Payson / Oakley / Goden / Concord / Underwood); and
- Between 10:45 a.m. and 11 a.m.: Concord Ave East bound will have two-way traffic between Underwood and Goden. Concord Ave West bound is shut for the 1-mile race.
The Foundation for Belmont Education thanks the residents of Belmont and the Belmont Police Department for their support of the Scharfman Memorial Run and appreciates the community’s understanding of the disruption in normal traffic patterns.
Online registration is available at the FBE website, www.fbe-belmont.org/race through Sunday. Interested participants can also register the day of the race.
In 2013, the Memorial Run raised $20,000. Those proceeds allowed the FBE to fund new programs across all six schools in the Belmont Public School system to give educators and students the best tools, technology and training that foster innovation and love of learning.
Leave a Review or Comment