Photo: It’s yours, that’s if you can carry it home.
On Friday, July 2, from 9 a.m. to noon, Belmont residents will have the opportunity to come to the Belmont High School building and take furniture that cannot be used in the new high school wing or other school or town buildings.
Over the past year, the Belmont School Administration and the Belmont Middle and High School Building Committee conducted a thorough inventory of furniture and equipment to determine what could be used in the new building and what needed to be replaced. All of these items, as well as teaching and administrative materials, will be moved to the Skip Viglorolo (The ‘Skip’) skating rink for storage during the summer while construction on the new high school wing is completed.
Next, other schools and town departments will have an opportunity to go through the high school building to identify surplus furniture that can be repurposed to meet their needs. Other school districts will also have an opportunity to tour the building and take fixtures, like lockers, that they need for their schools. (Actually, this is how Belmont acquired lockers as our student population grew.)
Finally, on Friday, July 2, just before the site is turned over to the contractor to be demolished to prepare the site for the 7-8 grade Middle School building, any remaining surplus furniture will be made available to Belmont residents.
Surplus items, after the redistribution to other departments, could include:
- student desks and chairs,
- file cabinets,
- round and rectangular tables,
- office chairs, and
- display cases.
So here are the rules of the road for this Friday!
- All surplus furniture is free; no money is required or will be accepted.
- Surplus furniture will be distributed on a “first come, first served” basis; items cannot be held for pick-up at a later time or date.
- Participants are responsible for carrying items out of the building; movers will NOT be on site to assist.
- This opportunity is only available on Friday, July 2; the district cannot accommodate alternative days or times.
- During this event, building access will be restricted; available surplus furniture will be displayed in several first floor spaces; these days are not to be used for a final nostalgic tour of the building.
Leave a Review or Comment