Belmont Fire Log: Car Hits Tree, Tree Hits Ground

Car and tree in crash 

On Palm Sunday, April 13, just before 11:30 a.m., Engine 1 and Rescue 1 where sent to the intersection of Washington and Dalton for a report that a car had hit a tree and was on fire. When they arrived, the car was smoldering and the driver was out of the vehicle. That person was taken to Mt. Auburn Hospital to be evaluated. After putting out the fire, as the car was being removed, the old tree suddenly fell across Washington. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Gas for many years

On Monday, April 14, a few minutes before 8 p.m., Engine 2 was sent to a location on upper Common Street near Cushing Square for the report of a natural gas smell in the air. The resident who called said she could smell gas in front of her home for many years. And the crews could detect a “faint intermittent odor” near a “Dig Safe” markings on the street. The gas company was called. While they could smell the gas, none was picked up on their detecting equipment.

Overcooking leads to storage problem

Also on Monday, this time around quarter past 9 p.m., all companies were sent rushing to a Thayer Road multifamily for the report of a kitchen fire. There crews from Engine 1 and Rescue 1 found a pan of food on fire. They removed the smoldering attempt at cooking dinner outside and aired out the apartment. The firefighters had a hard time navigating around the apartment due to a great deal of “storage” in the unit. Turns out that the town, which manages the apartment, knew about the renter’s “problem” and would deal with it.


There was a light show on Tuesday, April 15, on Common and Orchard streets just after 9 p.m. as electrical wires starting rubbing against a tree setting off sparks and electrical arcing. Lots of fun but very dangerous. Belmont Light was called to make repairs.

Failing grade

It was a busy day for fire crews as they were heading off to Belmont High School several times on Thursday, April 17: first a faulty fire alarm just before 10 a.m., then another alarm and this time a teacher reported smelling gas in the kitchen and finally another false alarm at 10:45 a.m. The alarm company was called to fix the issues.



Share This ArticleShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on LinkedInPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Leave a Review or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *