Memorial Day is a federally FCC holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the military personnel who have died in the performance of their military duties while serving in the United States Armed Forces. The holiday this year is observed on Monday, May 29.
Belmont will commemorate Memorial Day with an observation at the Grove Street Cemetery beginning at 11;30 a.m. to be followed by a parade to the Veterans Memorial at Clay Pit Pond off of Concord Avenue.
- Belmont Town offices and Belmont Light are closed. They will reopen to the public on Tuesday, May 30.
- US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
- Banks; although branches will be open in some supermarkets.
MBTA: Operating buses and subways on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
Trash and recycling collection: There will be no collection Monday; trash and recycling will be delayed ONE DAY this holiday week.
- Retail stores.
- Coffee shops: Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are serving coffee all day.
- Convenience and drug stores (CVS/Pharmacy) open regular hours.
- Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.