Photo: Happy 4th on the 5th
Today, Monday, July 5 is when the country observes the 4th of July, Independence Day, which we celebrated yesterday. It’s that somewhat rare case of when the holiday that commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence falls on a Sunday but the US still wants the people of the country to have an official day off. So take it.
For most Belmontians, the most impactful result of the holiday is that trash and recycling pick up will be delayed by a day.
Here is what’s closed and what’s open on the 4th of July.
- Belmont Town Hall and town offices: Closed
- Belmont Public Library: Closed
- State and Federal government offices: Closed.
- US Postal Service: Both Belmont post offices are closed; express delivery only.
- Retail stores and coffee shops: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Liquor stores: Open.
- Supermarkets: Open.
- Convenience stores: Open.
- Taverns, bars: Open.
- Banks: Closed.
For those who want to do some day traveling using public transportation, the MBTA is running on the following schedule:
- Subway and Commuter Rail will run on a Saturday schedule.
- Bus and the RIDE will run on a Sunday schedule.