Photo: Washington and Lincoln birthday
Two for the price of one. Living in Massachusetts allows residents to have your choice of holidays to celebrate on the third Monday of February.
Presidents Day is a commemoration of the Feb. 22 birthday of George Washington. And since it falls near the Feb. 12 birthday of Abraham Lincoln, the federal government in 1971 included the two birthdays under the one holiday.
But the Bay State officially celebrates “Washington’s Birthday” on the same day as the federal holiday. So take your pick.
Trash and recycling curbside pick up is delayed by a day.
Belmont Town offices and Belmont Light are closed.
• US Postal Service offices: Closed. No deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Saturday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores and,
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.
Leave a Review or Comment