Photo: Labor Day 2015.
The Labor Day holiday is the last great get away weekend of the summer and Belmont is all but emptied out.
Labor Day is one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although the feds don’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most firms do the same.
What will be closed on Monday, Sept. 7?
• All town offices and most departments.
• The Belmont Public Library is closed until Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 9 a.m.
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in a few supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores and,
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open. Bars and taverns are also open but since Belmont doesn’t have any, head over to Conley’s in Watertown.