The Labor Day holiday the last big get away weekend of the summer and Belmont is shutting down early.
All Belmont Town offices and Belmont Light will close their doors at 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29; the last early-close of the summer. Beginning Sept. 5, offices will close at 4 p.m.
The Belmont Public Library will close at 5 p.m. Friday and stay shut until Tuesday, Sept. 2, at 9 a.m. So check out DVDs, CDs and beach reads today.
Labor Day is one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although the feds don’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most other employers do the same.
What else will be closed on Monday, Sept. 1?
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in some supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores and,
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open. Bars and taverns are also open but Belmont doesn’t have any so …