Despite several hints that this could have been the year, Belmont will need to wait yet another year for just the possibility of being selected to receive state funds to help pay for a new and approved high school.
In a letter dated Monday, Dec. 15 and announced at Tuesday’s Belmont School Committee meet, the Massachusetts School Building Authority once again denied the committee’s statement of interest calling for the complete renovation of Belmont High School and the construction of a new science wing with a price tag of between $90 and $100 million.
“Through the MSBA’s due diligence process and review of the 108 [fiscal year] 2014 [Statement of Interests] that were received, the MSBA has determined that the Belmont High School SOI will not be invited into the MSBA’s Eligibility Period at this time,” stated the letter signed by John K. McCarthy, the Authority’s executive director.
Stating the Authority was proud to have collaborated in the building of the Wellington Elementary School which opened in September 2011, McCarthy said the MSBA “remains committed to collaborating and partnering with [Belmont] to better understand any other school facility issues in [Belmont].”
There have been a number of hints over the fall that Belmont’s application had been placed on the short list of projects to be accepted. In October, the MSBA came for a “senior study” of the high school, one of 25 the Authority made this fall. According to a school official on the Cape, a MSBA officials said “a substantial percentage of districts [that received a senior study] will be recommended to move forward with an invitation into the MSBA eligibility period.” In addition, districts that have submitted SOIs for more than a decade are traditionally placed higher on the approval scale.
Belmont can reapply for what will be the 11th consecutive year for the school’s addition and renovation by April 10, 2015.
See the MSBA letter to Belmont below: