On the government side of “This Week”
- The Zoning Board of Appeals is meeting on Monday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m. in the Belmont Gallery of Art on the third floor of the Homer Building, located in the Town Hall complex.
- Community Path Implementation Advisory Committee will hold a meeting updating the committee’s work and discuss RFP for certain sections from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at Town Hall.
- Other Post-Employment Benefits Funding Advisory Group will hold a meeting with reports and public contributions beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at Town Hall.
- Community Preservation Committee is reviewing a lot of former grant recipients to see where they are in the process. At 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at Town Hall.
- Economic Development Advisory Committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 10 at Town Hall to discuss Belmont Center and the effect of paving on businesses in Cushing Square.
• ESL Conversation Circle for beginners takes place on Monday, Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Belmont Public Library’s Flett Room.
• Girl Scouts from the Butler Elementary School will lead a December caroling sing-along at the Beech Street Center on Monday, Dec. 7 at 3:15 p.m. The girls will provide song sheets so everyone can sing winter/holiday songs together.
Tuesday is story time at both of Belmont libraries.
- Pre-School Story Time at the Benton Library, Belmont’s independent and volunteer-run library, at 10:30 a.m. Stories and crafts for children age 3 to 5. Parents or caregivers must attend. Siblings may attend with adults. Registration is not required. The Benton Library located at the intersection of Oakley and Old Middlesex.
- Pre-School Storytime at the Belmont Public Library beginning at 9:30 a.m.We’ll read longer books, sing, and dance, and make simple crafts. For 3-5-year-olds with a longer attention span.
• The staff from State Rep. Dave Rogers’ office will be available for walk-in office hours at the Beech Street Center on Tuesday, Dec. 8, beginning at 9:30 a.m.
• The Beech Street Center presents The Ambassadors – Joseph Vincent and Joseph Andrea – who will bring the music of the Big Band-era to the Center on Tuesday, Dec. 8, at 1:15 p.m. Vincent was a finalist in a world piano-accordion competition. Joseph Andrea is a multi-instrumentalist and World War II veteran who, at the end of the war, was asked to form a seven-piece dance band to entertain wounded G.I.s, enlisted men, and officers. He played in various symphonies including the Boston Civic Symphony and the New England Symphony.
• Tween Tuesday at the Belmont Public Library is preparing for the new Star Wars movie by talking about the Jedi Academy series by Jeff Brown from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 8, in the Flett Room. Copies of the first book available for checkout in the Children’s Room. Register by calling the Children’s Room at 617-993-2880.
• It fills up every corner of Belmont High School’s Wenner Field House and also the stands: it’s the annual Belmont School’s Band-a-Rama! at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8. Every band in the district; from the youngsters in fourth grade all the way to the High School’s jazz ensemble will be in performance. And all the bands come together for a rendition of some Christmas song I’ve forgotten. But it’s fun!
• Wednesday, Dec. 9, is early release for Chenery Middle School students.
• Storytime for 1’s is for walkers and toddlers under 24 months will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 9, at 10:30 a.m. in the library’s Flett Room. They will share simple stories, songs, and nursery rhymes, and end with time to play.
• Belmont’s Veterans Service Officer Bob Upton will be answering veterans quires on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at noon at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St.
• Chenery Middle School students are invited to enjoy some hot chocolate the Belmont Public Library’s Assembly Room on Wednesday. Dec. 9 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., to do your homework. This is for middle schoolers only so high schoolers are on their own. This event is provided for free, thanks to the Friends of the Belmont Public Library.
• Everyone is invited to Chinese Storytime which will take place in the Flett Room of the Belmont Public Library from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. 0n Wednesday, Dec. 9.
• The Belmont Public Library’s 2nd and 3rd Grade Book Club meets on Thursday, Dec. 10 from 3:30 p.m. Please register by calling the Children’s Department at 617-993-2880. After you’ve signed up, stop by the Children’s Room Desk to pick up a copy of the December book, Three Ring Rascals: The Show Must Go On. Hurry! Space is limited!
• The Cushing Square Merchant’s Association presents its annual Holiday Stroll shopping event on Thursday, Dec. 10 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. featuring food tastings, discounts, raffles, and the vintage carnival wheel will spin for prizes all day at Westcott Mercantile. The Belmont High School Madrigal Singers will stroll from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• Literacy Playgroup is a parent and child group that supports child’s language and literacy development on Friday, Dec. 11, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. in Flett Room. You’ll play, read, sing and take home new ideas. Presented by educators from the CFCE grant program; for children age 4 and under.
• The Chenery Middle School’s Fifth Grade Concert will be performed in the school’s auditorium on Friday, Dec. 11 at 9 a.m.
• The Senior Book Discussion group will meet on Friday, Dec. 11 from 11 a.m. to noon at the Beech Street Center to discuss Doctor Zhivago (Part Two) by Boris Pasternak.
• Boston mezzo-soprano Heather Gallagher, the 2015 first-prize winner of Powers’ renowned Peter Elvins Vocal Competition, returns to the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St., on Friday, Dec. 11, to perform joyous holiday music with a dash of classic American “champagne” styling. The show begins at 1:15 p.m.
• The Belmont Public Library’s OTAKUrabu program offers students (7th to 12th grades) the chance to watch anime, do a craft/activity, plan for future events and nibble on some Japanese snacks (while they last – they’ll go fast) on Thursday, Dec. 10, from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Assembly Room. Provided to you for free, thanks to the Friends of the Belmont Public Library. Just drop in, no registration required.
• Belmont’s three Cub Scout Packs: Pack 377 of Winn Brook/Burbank, Pack 384 of Wellington/Butler, and Pack 96 of the LDS Church, is holding an All Cub Scouts of Belmont Skating Night on Friday, Dec. 11, at 6:30 p.m. at the Skip Viglirolo skating rink on Concord Avenue. There will be a short opening ceremony with skating with hot chocolate courtesy of Dunkin’ Donuts. This is the first joint Cub Scout activity organized in years.
Leave a Review or Comment