Photo: Barry Pell’s photograph of Iran.
On the government side of the week:
- The Zoning Board of Appeals is meeting in the Belmont Gallery of Art, third floor of the Homer Building in the Town Hall complex, on Monday, July 13, at 7 p.m.
- The long-delayed Cushing Village project will come for a review and approval of decorum standards at the Planning Board which meets on Monday, July 13, at 7 p.m.
- The Net Metering Working Group will continue its accelerated meeting agenda gathering on Monday, July 13, and Wednesday, July 15, both at Town Hall at 7:30 p.m.
- The Belmont Historic District Commission meets on Tuesday, July 14, at 7 p.m. at Town Hall to evaluate the Stephen Frost House (1763), 467 Pleasant St., which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States. Frost was on his way to the battle of Concord on April 19, 1775 when he came across a group of Arlington minutemen who needed a leader. He took command and later in the day capture a supply train.
• Tuesday, July 14 is “Le quatorze juillet” Bastille Day!
• Pre-School Story Time at the Benton Library, Belmont’s independent and volunteer run library, at 10:30 a.m., Tuesday, July 14. Stories and crafts for children age 3 to 5. Parents or caregivers must attend. Siblings may attend with adults. Registration is not required. The Benton Library is located at the intersection of Oakley and Old Middlesex.
• Noon movies for children on Tuesday, July 14, noon to 1 p.m., in the Assembly Room of the Belmont Public Library.
• Barry Pell will give a talk on Iran-Persian Glory and Islamic Revolution at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St., on Tuesday, July 14, at 1:15 p.m. Pell traveled 4,000 miles through the country’s magnificent landscape, visiting historic cities and monuments and meeting with Iranian people who openly shared opinions about their lives and relations with America. This program will be accompanied by Pell’s spectacular photography.
• Faculty from Powers Music School’s Music on the Hill (MOTH) summer program will perform a selection of music for students, friends, and family to enjoy on Tuesday, July 14, 6:30 p.m, at Powers Music School, 404 Concord Ave. Students will perform on Wednesday and Thursday, July 15 and 16 at 6:30 p.m. at the school.
• The Belmont Public Library is hosting a great kids program, Ed’s Magic Show, on Tuesday, July 14 at 6:30 p.m. in the Assembly Room.
• Stories with a Police Officer for kindergarteners and slightly older kids on Wednesday, July 15, at 2 p.m. in the Assembly Room.
• The Belmont Book Discussion Group will discuss The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros, on Wednesday, July 15, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Flett Room. Everyone is welcome to attend. Copies of the book can be requested through the library catalog or call the library Reference staff at 617-993-2870.