• On the government calendar, the Belmont School Committee is meeting at the Chenery Middle School on Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 7:30 p.m. to discuss what’s happening at the White Field House and committee assignments. Also on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m., the Joint Municipal Light Board/Municipal Light Advisory Board will be meeting at the Beech Street Center to catch up on the new Substation and the Transmission Project.
• Musician, performer and educator Michael Wingfield will be giving a concert at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St., on the “Rhythm and Song of the African and Song, New World” which highlights African-Caribbean percussion arts and culture on Tuesday, Sept. 23. Concert at 4 p.m., but come at 1:15 p.m. for a free interactive workshop. The concert is open to the public. You don’t have to have any musical experience at all to participate and everyone is welcome.
• Chenery Middle School students are invited to stop by the Belmont Public Library’s Assembly Room on Wednesday, Sept. 24 from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. to do your homework and enjoy some lemonade and cookies. This is for middleschoolers only! Provided to you for free, thanks to the Friends of the Belmont Public Library. Just drop in, no registration required.
• Readers are invited to the book release party for popular children’s author Julie Berry – she wrote “The Amaranth Enchantment,” “Secondhand Charm” and the Young Adult novel “All the Truth That’s In Me” – as she introduces her new murder mystery/farce for middle grade readers, “The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place,” on Thursday, Sept. 25 at 3:15 p.m. in the Assembly Room. Julie will read from her new book, answer questions from her fans, and sign copies of her books. • Come join the Belmont Public Library for the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Playgroup from 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the Flett Room.
• The Belmont Public Library has begun its OTAKUrabu program. Watch anime, do a craft/activity, plan for future events and nibble on some Japanese snacks (while they last – they’ll go fast) on Friday, Sept. 26 from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Assembly Room. Provided to you for free, thanks to the Friends of the Belmont Public Library. Just drop in, no registration required.
• SHINE counselor Ed Siegfried will give a presentation on Friday, Sept. 26 beginning at 1:15 p.m. at the Beech Street Center, 266 Beech St., on Medicare options available to seniors. The Medicare annual Open Enrollment Period—which runs from October 15 to December 7— is when those on Medicare can change their supplementary insurance for 2015. Each year the pricing and coverage of Medigap plans, Medicare Advantage plans, and Part D drug plans change. Very often you can save money by reviewing your coverage.
Leave a Review or Comment