Photo: Open for business.
Pssst. Keep this under your hat, but …
Foodie’s Market is open for business.
Just a little more than two years ago when it first announced plans to place a store in the former Macys’/Filenes’ location on Leonard Street in Belmont Center, the South End-based supermarket chain opened its doors, albeit quietly, on Wednesday afternoon, May 10.
For Christina Hooley, the assistant store manager of the fourth Foodie’s in Greater Boston, it’s exciting to finally have customers and staff in the store located at 87 Leonard St.
“We are happy to be open, but we aren’t making a big announcement. This is really a ‘quiet’ opening,” said Hooley, opening five days before the upcoming weeklong Grand Opening celebration beginning Monday, May 15 and lasting until Town Day, May 20.
While customers were moving between rows of produce, fruit, meats and the freshly-made meal counters Thursday morning, there were workers with ladders and tools doing final repairs and installations as cashiers and staff continued to bring in product to the store.
Foodie’s has released its Opening Week schedule of tastings and events:
Monday, May 15, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Deano Pasta – Ravioli and Sause
- Farmer Willie’s Craft Ginger Beer
Wednesday, May 17, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Andrea Alexander from Giannoni Selection Wines
Thursday, May 18, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Indaba Wines
- Eric Spitz from Baystate Wine
- SABRA FOODS – Middle Eastern food
Friday, May 19:
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: SID WAINER- Bacon, Chicken Sausage, Cheese
- Noon – 4 p.m.: YANKEE TRADER – Seafood Appetizers
- 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.: FOOD MATCH – Olive/Wine/Cheese
- 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.: Casey Gruttadauria from Ideal Wine & Spirits
Saturday, May 20 (Belmont Town Day)
- Outside giveaways: KIND BARS, POLAR SELTZERS
- FOOD MATCH: Wella Bars, Fig Spread, Cheese
- 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.: Dave Bove from Vineyard Brands