Photo: Heatwave on tap for the beginning of the week
[Update] For a second day, schools will be dismissed early on Tuesday, June 8, due to the high heat conditions.
Given the current heatwave and concerns for students and staff, the Belmont School District will be dismissing school early Monday, June 7.
- Belmont High will dismiss at 1:30 p.m.
- Chenery Middle School will dismiss at 1:15 p.m.
- Butler, Burbank and Wellington will dismiss at 1:40 p.m.
- Winn Brook will dismiss at 1:50 p.m.
- Lunch will be served in all schools.
- Belmont High School will have morning MCAS as planned.
- All after school care programs are cancelled.
- All after school activities are cancelled.
- Remote instruction will end at these times as well.
With Belmont in the midst of a multiday heatwave (+90 degree F high temperatures) beginning on Saturday, June 5 and lasting until Wednesday, June 9, the Belmont School District will monitor the temperatures inside schools and assess whether or not we may need to dismiss students and staff early from school, according to John P. Phelan,
Superintendent of Schools.
“Please know that if we do choose to shorten the school day next week for heat concerns, we will communicate any change via email and/or automated call,” said Phelan in an email to the school community.
With the heatwave occuring during a week schools are in session, the district reminds students and parents that it is important for students and staff to stay hydrated. School officials recommend everyone bring a water bottle that can be replenished at our fill stations, dress for the weather and wear sunscreen.
“Please see the nursing department’s bulletin sent on May 28 regarding Warm Weather Reminders,” said Phelan.