Photo: Fireworks in Newton.
Unfortunately, Belmont does not hold a 4th of July celebration, but many neighboring and close-by town and city do. Here are just a few events and fireworks in adjacent communities and in Boston.
• Lexington: The annual Fourth of July Carnival takes place at Hastings Park through July 4 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. The Youth Games take place on July 4th at 10 a.m.
• Boston: Fireworks will fill the sky over the Charles River adjacent to the Esplanade after the Boston Pops concert just after 10 p.m.
• Newton: Not just fireworks but also an open air market, food vendor and children’s activities beginnng at 1 p.m. at Albermarle/Halloran Field, located on Watertown Street, Route 16. The fireworks get underway at 9 p.m.
Today, from 10 a.m. to noon, is Kids Morning (for children from 3 to 12) at Newton Centre Playground at Tyler Terrace. There will be a Grande Pet Parade, a Teddy Bear Parade, Decorated Doll Carriage Promenade and Foot Races. There will also be free ice cream by Cabot’s Ice Cream
• Waltham: Concert and festivities begin at 7:30 p.m. with the fireworks beginning at 9:15 p.m. at Leary Field, 19 Athletic Field Rd.
• Arlington: At Robbins Farm Park, just over Route 2 from Belmont. Beginning at 6 p.m., there will be musical entertainment provided by thea “The Reminisants”, and of course, the Boston Pops Orchestra and fireworks on the giant screen (fireworks start at 10:30pm). The event is free and open to all.