Photo: Town Meeting.
Legislative democracy is back in session tonight as Belmont’s Annual Town Meeting convenes tonight, Monday, May 2 at 7 p.m. in the Belmont High School Auditorium.
The 290 members will spend Monday and Wednesday, May 4, voting on non-budgetary articles on the warrant. All budget and financial articles will be discussed and voted on in the June session.
Tonight, Monday, Town Meeting will tackle Articles 1-7 in the Town Meeting Warrant. They include:
- Article 1: Reports (there will be no reports this evening.)
- Article 2: Authorize the Board of Selectmen to represent the town’s legal interests.
- Article 3: Authorize the town to abandon an existing utility easement along Trapelo Road and Common Street.
- Article 4: Extend the Demolition Delay Bylaw by one year to allow for the completion of the Historic District Commmision Town-wide survey of historic properties.
- Article 5: Remove the “sunset” provision from the Residential Property Snow Removal Bylaw.
- Article 6: Limiting the size and mass of dwellings in the Single Residence C Zoning District. There is discussion that this article could be tabled.
- Article 7: Individual votes on the eight projects put forward by the Community Preservation Committee. More information on the projects can be found here.
On Wednesday, May 4, the annual meeting will close temporarily to allow for a Special Town Meeting to convene. The Special Town Meeting will have three articles:
- A funding authorization to finance a new $144 million Minuteman Regional Vocational School.
- Appropriate $1.75 million, the proceeds from the sale of town owned land off Woodfall Road, to fund initial expenses of the Belmont High School Building Committee.
- Transfer $1.3 million from free cash to fund the purchase of six modular classrooms to be used at the Chenery Middle School.
Jack Weis, Belmont’s Representative to the Minuteman School Committee, has provided a preview of the slides he intends to present under Article 3 of the Special Town Meeting, and is asking Town Meeting Members to look through the new presentation in advance of Wednesday’s meeting in hope of covering the entire presentation in an efficient manner. To permit everyone to receive and view these slides without being constrained by computer power, please follow this link to the slides that are on the Town Clerk’s Town Meeting Information page of the website: