Photo: Arlington-Belmont Crew at the Head of the Charles.
The 2016 Head of the Charles, rowing’s annual “Woodstock” and one the largest congregation of athletes outside of the Olympics with 11,000 participants, will be well represented by Belmont High School students on the event’s second day, Sunday, Oct. 23.
As members of the Arlington-Belmont Crew Club – made up of high schoolers from both towns – the hometown athletes will be rowing in three youth competitions:
- 10:05 a.m.: Women’s Youth Eights (bow #41)
- 11:33 a.m.: Men’s Youth Fours (bow #36)
- 12:43 p.m.: Men’s Youth Eights (bow #14 – which is ABRC’s highest seed.)
The Belmont High School students rowing and coxing on Sunday include:
- Emma Gharibian, Melissa Bazakas-Chamberlain, Alena Jaegar, Sophia Haska, Casey Reed and Alexia Assimakopoulos in the Women’s Youth Eights.
- Nick Krom, Lucas Abeln and Nick Hanify in the Men’s Youth Fours.
- Charlie Yeh, Adam Cronin, Joe Wenzel and Ian McCabe in the Men’s Youth Eights.
Arlington-Belmont Crew is a club team open to students who attend Belmont and Arlington high school. No prior rowing experience is necessary.
To learn more, speak to a member of the team or read about the team at its website.