Photo: It’s hot.
The next several days will see temperatures in Belmont hit the 90s, and with that comes higher than normal energy usage and higher costs. Belmont Light is asking its customers to help Belmont save energy and money by reducing electricity consumption between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Electricity cut during peak times helps Belmont mitigate energy supply costs and lowers strain on the regional electricity grid.
Here are some tips to reduce Belmont peak electricity consumption:
- Adjust air conditioners and turn off the AC in rooms that are not used. Adjusting the thermostat even by 2-3 degrees helps.
- Use a microwave oven or an outdoor grill instead of a stove or a regular oven.
- Shift laundry and dishwashing activities until after 8 p.m.
- Unplug DVRs or gaming consoles when not in use
- Hold off on charging electric vehicles until later in the evening
For more advice on reducing peak energy consumption, call Belmont Light at 617-993-2800.