Photo: It’s already out; the ’19-’20 school calendar.
While the current school term is barely halfway completed, the Belmont School Committee has its eyes on next year’s calendar.
The school district presented the “final” version of the 2019-2020 calendar which the committee appeared to approve unanimously at its Jan. 8 meeting. Keeping with tradition, Belmont will begin its school year after the Labor Day holiday, unlike a growing number of districts which starts its academic term the last week of August.
Below are the highlights which will assist families in their preparation of long-range vacation plans:
- The 2019-2020 school year for 1-12 grades will begin on Wednesday, Sept. 4, with a half day at each school. Half of the kindergarten students will be starting either on Sept. 5 or 6 for a half day.
- The winter recess begins at dismissal on Friday, Dec. 20 and runs until school reopens on Thursday, Jan. 2.
- February school break is during the week of Feb. 17.
- Belmont schools will be closed for the Massachusetts Presidential Primary election on Tuesday, March 3.
- April recess is the week of April 20.
- Graduation will take place on Sunday, June 7; just where the ceremony will take place could be tricky as the new 7-12 school building project will be nine months into construction of the “high school” section where the Wenner Field House is located.
- And if the school district declares the average five snow days in 2019-2020, the final day of school before summer recess will be Tuesday, June 23.