Photo: Workers at the Belmont Middle and High schools construction site.
Labor Day is the last big get away weekend of the summer.
It’s one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although the feds don’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most other employers do the same.
Belmont Town offices and Belmont Light are closed.
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in some supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores and,
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.