Photo: Presidents Day, 2023
Two for the price of one. Living in Massachusetts allows residents to have your choice of holidays to celebrate on the third Monday of February.
Presidents Day is a commemoration of the Feb. 22 birthday of George Washington. And since it fell near the Feb. 12 birthday of Abraham Lincoln, the federal government in 1971 included the two birthdays under the one holiday.
But the Bay State officially celebrates “Washington’s Birthday” on the same day as the federal holiday. So take your pick.
Trash and recycling curbside pick up is delayed by a day.
- Belmont Town offices and Belmont Light.
- Belmont Public Library.
- US Postal Service offices: No deliveries.
- Banks; although some branches will be open in supermarkets. TD Bank will be open
- MBTA: Operating on a Saturday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores, and
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open.