Photo: Poster on the fence outside Harris Field where the race starts and finishes.
In spite of COVID-19 pandemic, the annual Foundation for Belmont Education Apple Run 5K/2K will be run this year … with a bit of a different setup.
Unlike past years where all the runners would take off at the same time and place on Harris Field, this year each runner will run the same course but all at different times.
With 2020 being a virtual event, the races will be run during a window that opens on Oct. 2 and closes at the end of the day on Oct. 12.
- Participants who wish to be eligible for prizes must run the Apple Run 5K or 2K routes during that 10-day window. Participants submit a GPS file or link from Garmin, Strava or other fitness trackers for verification.
- Participants who do not wish to be considered for a prize can run any 5K or 2K route during that period.
- The 5K course can be found here and the 2K course here. During October 2-12, to submit your times and/or photo, click here.
The Foundation will place signs at the start/finish line as well as the standard course markers. Further, we plan to have a finish line and photo area set up at the track to help support running the race on your own time.
RUN AS A VIRTUAL TEAM!
As in past years, the Foundation welcomes team registrations for the 5K run. As well as the prizes above, participants in a team are eligible to win:
- Fastest Team 5K *
- Largest Team 5K
* Fastest combined time for top 5 team members for male, female, and mixed (mixed must contain at least 2 females).
How running as a team virtually can work:
- Run together as a family team
- Run together as a grouping of individuals who have been quarantining together
- Members of virtual teams consisting of individuals who have NOT been quarantining together should run the race individually, but register under the same team name.
- The Racewire platform will compile team results and standings from individuals who designate they are members of a given team.
A virtual event creates the opportunities to have some fun with awards and results. For the 2020 Virtual Apple Run awards will be granted in the following categories, with prizes delivered to the winner’s address or sent via mail.
- Fastest Male and Female 5K
- Fastest Male and Female Combined (5K + 2K)
- Fastest Male and Female 5K – 12 and Under
- Fastest Male and Female 2K – 12 and Under
- Fastest Couch-2-5K participant*
- Slowest 5K
- Fastest Reverse 5K (run the course in reverse)
- Most Times Run the 5K Course
- Most Festive Running Outfit: Male and Female
- Best Finish Line Photo
Please note, we will not have police or public safety monitors on the course. The Foundation for Belmont Education urges participants to follow all rules for social distancing and to beware of street traffic when running the course.
The Foundation is thankful that amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, we can continue to support our town’s public schools and students through our annual fall events.