Photo: Rock Meadow Conservation Land
The Belmont Historical Society invites the public to explore one of Belmont’s great open spaces with a Walking Tour of Rock Meadow this Saturday, Oct. 5 at 1 p.m. The walk is free and open to the public.
Learning about the history of Rock Meadow by walking the conservation land with Anne-Marie Lambert. Discover the history and uses of the land off Mill Street which include:
- wetland habitat for fish and beavers,
- hunting and fishing grounds for the Pequosette,
- hay meadow,
- bird watching area,
- key part of McLean Hospital Farm with its wells, orchards, pastures and piggeries
- a place for respite for immigrant workers and
- site of the Victory Garden.
Participants will meet in the Rock Meadow lot off Mill Street with addition spaces across the street in the Lone Tree Hill parking lot. Bring water, closed shoes, and weather appropriate clothing.