Photo: Memorial Day in Belmont.
Today, Monday, May 29, is Memorial Day, a state and federal holiday. It originated as Decoration Day in May 1868, an annual commemoration in which the graves of the war dead were decorated with flowers. Now it is the day to observe all military personnel who have died in American wars.
• Federal, state, municipal offices: Closed, including the Belmont Municipal Light Department and all Town Hall offices.
• Belmont Public Schools: Closed.
• Belmont Public and the Benton libraries: Closed.
• Trash pickup is delayed by one day.
• Retail stores: Most of the larger stores are open but many small Belmont stores are closed.
• Supermarkets and convenience stores: Open.
• Bars and restaurants: Left up to the owners.
• Post office: Closed but some express mail is being delivered.
• MBTA: All lines – bus, subway, commuter rail – are operating on a Sunday schedule. Visitwww.mbta.com for more information.