Belmont High Will Be In Session Tuesday Despite Early Morning Fire Monday

Photo: Crews cleaning the room where a floor cleaning machine was destroyed by fire early Monday morning, May 25. Belmont High School will be open on Tuesday, May 26, a day after a fire in a storage room next to the school’s auditorium destroyed a floor-cleaning machine and damaged the room. “The fire started shortly […]

[Update] BREAKING: Fire Destroys Jimmy’s Food Mart, Damages Block of Stores

Photo: The fire at Jimmy’s Food Mart that occurred on Saturday, April 18.  A three-alarm fire destroyed the convenient store Jimmy’s Food Mart and damaged a business block – including a new restaurant days away from opening – at the corner of Belmont and School streets on the Watertown line. At this time, no one is thought to have been injured in […]

Three Fire Department ‘Newbies’ Brings Belmont’s Staffing to 2009 Levels

Photo: Belmont Town Clerk Ellen Cushman (from left) swears in Ryan Keane, Andrew Butler and Charles Gerrard as Belmont’s newest firefighters. Belmont’s Fire Department has three “newbies” among its ranks starting last week. Charles Gerrard, Andrew Butler, and Ryan Keane were appointed as firefighters on Monday, March 16 by Belmont Fire Chief David Frizzell, and sworn in […]

Belmont Fire Log: An Act of Kindness for a Belmont Senior

Outside, looking in March 8 – Just about half past noon, a fire crew headed to a residence on Simmons Avenue to help yet another resident who found themselves locked out of their home. Search on a cold night March 9 – A hair before 6 p.m., Engine 1 and the Rescue truck took off towards a house on Beech Street after […]

Belmont Fire Log: Stuck in the Fire House, Town Hall All Wet

Editor’s Note: The photo initially used to illustrate this article is a copyright image by an established photographer used without his permission or compensation. The selection of the image was inadvertent and an error that this publication regrets. Locked out March 2 – Just after 3 p.m., firefighters headed over to Creeley Road where they helped a resident who […]

Belmont Fire Log: Idling Vehicle Caused CO Alarms to Sound

Locked out, the series Feb. 2 – Just before 7:30 p.m., crews clambered to Slade Street to help a resident who locked themselves out of their home. Water from the attic Feb. 2 – Just after 7:30 p.m., Engine 1 took off for a York Road single family to investigate a water problem. Turns out […]

Belmont Fire Log: Just Add a Little Stove Top Grease While Cooking

‘Nuff said. Jan. 11 – At 10:11 a.m., fire units were sent to a Common Streeet house for an outdoor water leak. Turned out, as the official fire log reported, the problem was due to a “frozen outside cock.” It was Sunday Jan. 11 – Just before half past 11 a.m., members of a Belmont church’s congregation asked Belmont Rescue and Engine 1 to check […]

Fire Heavily Damages Two Family on Russell Terrace, Occupant Taken to Hospital

A two-alarm fire heavily damaged a 105-year-old two-family house at the end of Russell Terrace, sending an elderly occupant to the hospital this afternoon, Tuesday, Jan. 20. Flames and smoke were billowing from the first and second floor windows of the wooden Colonial when the first fire crews arrived at the dead end street off of […]

Belmont Fire Log: I’m Locking You Out, Mom

Where is this arc? Jan. 4 – About an hour after midnight, Engine 2 was sent to Knox Street to investigate what was reported to be outside wires arcing. Firefighters were told by a homeowner that she saw a flash and heard popping sounds which she believed came from a street light across from her home. One neighbor reported hearing […]

Belmont Fire Log: Toddler and Cooking Lunch Inside, Parent Locked Outside

Gas, on and off Dec. 1 – At half past 4 p.m., Engine 2 and Ladder 1 headed over the Belmont Public Library on Concord Avenue for a reported odor of gas in the building. Engine 2 investigated and found a slight odor but not of natural gas. A library representative told the crew the odor has occurred […]