Photo: The reenactment of the Battle of Lexington.
Today is Patriots’ Day (or Patriot’s Day in Maine) commemorating the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.
The holiday was once celebrated on April 19 but now is observed on the third Monday in April.
Today’s big event is the running of the Boston Athletic Association’s annual marathon and the reenactments of the battles of Lexington and Concord as well as festivities in many towns.
• Retail stores: Most will be open.
• Supermarkets, liquor stores and convenience stores: Open.
• Bars and restaurants: Open.
• Municipal, state offices: Closed, including the Belmont Municipal Light Department and all Town Hall offices.
• Schools: Belmont schools are closed for the entire week during spring recess.
• Federal offices: Open.
• Post Offices: Open.
• Libraries: Belmont Public Library and Benton Library are closed
• MBTA: All subway lines operating on regular weekday schedule with added service before and after the Marathon. Copley Station is closed. Buses and trackless trolleys will operate on a weekday schedule. Commuter rail trains will operate on regular weekday schedule.