Photo: A pair of gentlemen who will need to put these outfits away come Tuesday.
The Labor Day holiday is the last great getaway weekend of the summer and Belmont (because the public schools open after the holiday) has all but emptied out until Monday after dark.
Labor Day is one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although it doesn’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most firms do the same. But it is reported that for more than 40 percent of workers, today is just another day on the job.
In fashion, Labor Day is (or was, but should be) considered the last day when it is acceptable to wear white or seersucker, according to Time magazine.
What will be closed on Monday, Sept. 3?
• Town and US government offices and departments.
• The Belmont Public Library is closed until Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 9 a.m.
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in a few supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• The Underwood Pool (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.) Today is the last day of the outdoor swimming season! And with temperatures in the 90s, a great final day to hang out at the pool.
• Retail stores.
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open.
• Convenience stores.
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open: Craft Beer Cellars in Belmont Center is open.