Photo: Memorial Day in Belmont
Monday, May 27, is Memorial Day, a state and federal holiday. It originated as Decoration Day in May 1868, an annual commemoration in which the graves of the war dead were decorated with flowers. Today is to memorialize all military service members who died in American wars.
Annual Memorial Day Parade: The parade starts rain or shine in Cushing Square at 11 p.m. with a memorial ceremony at Belmont Cemetery across from the Grove Street Playground at noon.
• Federal, state, municipal offices: Closed, including the Belmont Municipal Light Department and all Town Hall offices.
• Belmont Public Schools: Closed.
• Belmont Public and the Benton libraries: Closed.
• Trash pickup is delayed by one day.
• Retail stores: Most of the larger stores are open but many small Belmont stores are closed.
• Supermarkets and convenience stores: Open.
• Bars and restaurants: Left up to the owners.
• Post office: Closed but some express mail will be delivered.
• MBTA: All lines – bus, subway, commuter rail – are operating on a Sunday schedule.