Martin Luther King Jr. Day – officially known as Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. – is an federal holiday marking the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., the chief spokesman for nonviolent activism in the civil rights movement in the United States who successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law for more than two decades.
What’s open and what’s closed on Monday, Jan. 15:
- Belmont Town offices: Closed
- Belmont Public schools: Closed
- Belmont Public Library: Closed
- Trash and recycling pickup: Delayed by a day.
- Belmont’s two US Post offices: Closed
- Retail stores: Open
- Grocery stores: Open
- Liquor stores: Open
Most MBTA routes will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- The Red Line will operate a Saturday schedule.Saturday schedule.
- The Fitchburg/South Acton Line which stops at Waverley Square and Belmont Center will operate a regular weekday schedule.
- Buses and trackless trolleys will operate a Saturday schedule.