The Labor Day holiday is the last great get away weekend of the summer and Belmont has all but emptied out.
Labor Day is one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although it doesn’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because most firms do the same. But it is reported that for more than 40 percent of workers, today is just another day on the job.
What will be closed on Monday, Sept. 4?
• Town offices and most departments.
• The Belmont Public Library is closed until Tuesday, Sept. 5, at 9 a.m.
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some branches will be open in a few supermarkets.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• The Underwood Pool (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.) Today is the last day of the outdoor swimming season!
• Retail stores
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open
• Convenience stores, and
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open: Craft Beer Cellars in Belmont Center is open. Bars and taverns are also open but since Belmont doesn’t have any, head over to Conley’s on Belmont Street in Watertown.