Photo: A painting reportedly a portrait of Cristoforo Colombo.
Columbus Day, which is celebrated annually on the second Monday of October – in 2017, it’s on Oct. 9 –remembers Christopher Columbus’ arrival to the Americas on October 12, 1492. Government offices are closed, but businesses may be open.
In Belmont, trash collection and recycling are delayed a day. Monday collection will be picked up on Tuesday.
The MBTA is operating on its regular weekday schedule on all subway, trolley and bus lines.
- Belmont town, federal and state offices: Closed.
- Belmont Public Schools: Closed.
- Belmont Public Library: Closed.
- Banks: Closed.
- US Postal Service: Closed; express delivery only.
- Supermarkets: Open.
- Retail stores: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Restaurants: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Beer and wine stores: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Coffee shops: Regular hours.
- Businesses/offices: Many are open.