Photo: Thanksgiving, c. 1935, Doris Lee (1905-1983)
You can at least get coffee and pastries in Belmont on Thanksgiving.
While Thanksgiving is a national holiday – one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government – and most businesses along with federal, state and town offices are closed shut, there are a few places where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the kitchen or pick up a coffee before the annual Belmont/Watertown high schools football game, this year at Victory Field in Watertown at 10:15 a.m.
- Belmont landmark Ohlin’s Bakery at 456 Common St. in Cushing Square is open from 6 a.m. to noon.
- Starbucks in Belmont Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. while the cafe in Cushing Square will open its doors at 5 a.m. and close at 3 p.m.
- Dunkin’ Donuts at Trapelo Road and Beech Street and on Church Street (in Waverley Square) are reliably open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- CVS at 264 Trapelo Rd., is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. while the Belmont Center store on Leonard Street is operating from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. The pharmacies are closed.
- Star Market in Waverley Square: Closed all day.