The Labor Day holiday is the last great getaway weekend of the summer and Belmont (because the public schools open after the holiday) has all but emptied out until Tuesday afternoon.
Labor Day is one of ten holidays recognized by the federal government, although it doesn’t require employers to pay workers for this holiday. Businesses traditionally provide their employees with a paid holiday as part of a benefits package because many firms do the same. But it is reported that for more than 40 percent of workers, today is just another day on the job.
What will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2?
• Town and US government offices and departments.
• The Belmont Public Library is closed. It will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 9 a.m.
• US Postal Service offices and regular deliveries.
• Banks; although some supermarket branches will be open.
• The Underwood Pool (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.) Today is the last day of the outdoor swimming season! But go early as rain is predicted by 2 p.m.-ish with a threat of lightning late in the afternoon.
• MBTA: Operating on a Sunday schedule. See www.mbta.com for details.
• Retail stores.
• Coffee shops; Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts are open.
• Convenience stores.
• Establishments that sell beer and wine are also allowed to be open: Craft Beer Cellars in Belmont Center is open.