Photo: A painting reportedly a portrait of Cristoforo Colombo.
Columbus Day, which is celebrated annually on the second Monday of October – in 2019, it’s on Oct. 14 – remembers Christopher Columbus’ arrival to the Americas on October 12, 1492. Increasingly, municipalities are changing the celebration to Indigenous Peoples Day to acknowledge the aboriginal people who lived in the Americas before the Age of Exploration.
Government offices are closed, but businesses may be open.
In Belmont, trash collection and recycling are delayed a day. Monday collection will be picked up on Tuesday.
The MBTA is operating on its regular weekday schedule on all subway, trolley and bus lines.
- Belmont town, federal and state offices: Closed.
- Belmont Public Schools: Closed.
- Belmont Public Library: Closed.
- Banks: Closed.
- US Postal Service: Closed; express delivery only.
- Supermarkets: Open.
- Retail stores: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Restaurants: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Beer and wine stores: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Coffee shops: Regular hours.
- Businesses/offices: Many are open.